BELIEFS & HISTORY
We emphasize putting beliefs into action, thus demonstrating loving concern for others. “Jesus said, ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.'” (Matthew 5:44). This is our example today in a society steeped in hate, revenge, and violence. We offer a rich fellowship for you and your family, including many outlets for fruitful Christian obedience.
- The Evangelical Friends Church does not advance new teachings or doctrines. Instead, we seek to rediscover New Testament teachings and apply these age-old truths to our lives.
- God is our Father. Jesus Christ is “the Word made flesh” for us.
- The Holy Spirit is our Comforter, Strengthener, and Guide.
- The Bible is the written Word of God, inspired by Him.
- A person receives forgiveness through repentance for sins and belief in Jesus Christ as Savior.
- The mission of the Church is to communicate the Good News of Salvation to people everywhere
From a nucleus of eleven members of nearby West Park Friends Church, North Olmsted Evangelical Friends Church was born. A group hoping to form a church in the Western suburbs began meeting on October 6, 1968 at Butternut Elementary School in North Olmsted.
In that year, Great Northern Boulevard was only a dotted line on a map indicating a future road when two women from the church approached Irving James as he worked in his nursery. He agreed to sell over seven acres of property to the church.
Early prayer meetings were held in individual homes and visiting pastors came from other churches to lead the worship services. The church grew to an average attendance of 46. Ten years later in 1978, groundbreaking for the new church building was held.
Pastor Geoff Schultz and his wife Mary joined NOEFC in 1995. Under his leadership, the church began to grow. He called the church to another major step of faith when in 2000 it was clear the church had outgrown its current building. The church was told “this church does not exist for those who are in it, but for those who aren’t in it yet.” The sanctuary was enlarged and our Family Life Center, classroom space, and offices were added.